mardi 26 août 2008

Beware of the leaven of the pharisees


Jesus, You told to Your disciples:
"Beware of the leaven of the pharisees''.
So there is such a danger
And even Your true disciples are not exempt from it.
Lord, I have decided to beware too,
Show in me all the signs of pharisaism,
I want that You erase them without leaving a trace,
Because I don't want that You tell me; ''Woe to you''.
Let never happen that I say one thing and do another thing,
I want that between all my words and deeds
Be always an equals sign.
While praying I will not chose the corners of the streets,
But I will meet You in the secret place,
While giving to the poor I will not sound a trumpet,
While fasting I will have a glad countenance.
I don't need titles and praises,
I just want You tell me: ''Well done''.
I don't like to sit in best places in feasts,
I will be happy sitting at Your feet.
Lord, though I like to strain out a gnat,
Let never happen that I swallow a camel,
Remind me always to cleanse the inside of the dish
That the outside also shines with the same purity.
While I have a plank in my eye,
I will never try to be an oculist,
And in order to stay in the salvation that You granted me,
I will never trust in my own deeds.
I will not compare myself with the tax collector
But I will cry out like he did: "Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner''
And I will rejoice in Your forgivness.
Lord, search me and find out all the symptoms of pharisaism,
I will beware of this terrible disease lest it bring me a spiritual death.

by Hripsime Mkrtchyan
Translated from Armenian

Aucun commentaire:

Visitors to this page